Thursday, February 20, 2014

Casting Week One

Plaster may not be "allowed" in studio, but it certainly was fun. I created several molds to try and convey the ideas for my schemes. It's a completely different way of thinking when your making a mold. Everything is backwards. It kinda messed with my head at first, but after the first couple of molds you get the hang of it. 

(This one was just for fun) 




What I thought would be my best mold turned out to be the worst one that came out. I tried to be additive to the landscape and create a massive sculpture like building that would be very experiential. For some reason I though it would pop out of the mold nice and clean but as you can see that's not what happened. 



The chip board stuck to the plaster and when I tried taking the mold off several pieces broke because they were too thin. But I still think this model was essential for my pin up review because even with some pieces missing it still showed the experience I was trying to create. I'm starting to work on a new mold (out of foam this time) with the same qualities of this plaster mold, but more focused and based on the site and exhuming the earth to create the forms. 


1 comment:

  1. wait... what? plaster is not allowed in studio...?!?

    oh...

    (i like the pyramid... now all you need is a sphere and a cube to complete the set).

    ReplyDelete